Company: Texas OilTech Laboratories
Reports To: Laboratory Supervisor
Location: 10630 Fallstone Road
Houston, Texas 77099
Department: Technical Services
Last Updated: 08/29/2018
Level (Proficiency): Intermediate
The Laboratory Chemist reports to the Laboratory Supervisor, Technical Services, and performs the Laboratory daily activities in the facility. The Laboratory Chemist performs analytical tests, ensures that analytical information is factual, accurate, and timely for the safe, reliable and efficient Plant Operations, and understands business objectives so that the facility operates in support of business needs. The Laboratory Chemist performs duties in an 8-hour daily environment.
Knowledge and understanding of a variety of standard laboratory practices, procedures and chemistry techniques. The ability to demonstrate knowledge of laboratory equipment and terminology, including gas chromatography, titration and inductively coupled plasma (ICP). Familiar with laboratory hazards and safety practices.
Responsibilities And Essential Duties:
1. Receive and record samples through the log-in process.
2. Perform routine and non-routine laboratory analyses to determine all process parameters per the Analytical Schedule providing accurate and timely analytical results.
3. Operate and maintain lab equipment by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns, maintaining supplies, performing preventive maintenance and calling for repairs.
4. Monitor the availability of the supplies needed for analysis, and to make any needs for such supplies known to Laboratory Supervisor through proper procedure.
5. Responsible for maintaining documentation, equipment and laboratory in a clean and orderly condition. Dispose of waste by proper procedure.
6. Participate in the maintenance of the Laboratory Quality Management System. Achieve and maintain accreditation to the required level.
7. Utilize the Lab Information Management System (LIMS) for data management.
8. Comply with the reporting system that meets the needs of the Quality Management System, required regulatory reporting and Company’s internal customers.
9. Comply with quality assurance and quality control of laboratory measurements and analyses.
10. Comply with appropriate analytical techniques to help troubleshoot process problems.
11. Document information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books.
12. Ensure all laboratory activities are carried out in accordance with health, environment, and safety policies and procedures.
This job description should not be construed as an absolute statement of job duties including responsibilities and requirements. This is considered a general description for the position and can be revised to assign more or less duties and responsibilities as the Company see applicable.
Qualifications (Education, Experience And Skills):
1. Education and Certifications:
Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or related degree.
Minimum Two (2) years experience in a laboratory setting performing analytical testing. Required experience using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS). Petrochemical, NGL, cryogenic natural gas processing, or other hydrocarbon processing experience may be acceptable.
- Experience using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS).
- Strong administrative abilities are required.
- Exceptional teamwork skills.
- An acute sensitivity to safety issues in a hazardous environment.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with a strong personal commitment to quality and integrity.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization and with individuals and groups from different disciplines, industries, and governmental agencies.
- Able to work with a culturally diverse group of technical individuals.
- The ability to communicate and interact with various plant levels; such as, Plant Manager, plant supervision, and plant workers whom are all responsible for ensuring good operations.
- Organized, planning skills, able to manage multiple activities and programs in timely fashion and with a high degree of accuracy, strong attention to details, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills.
- Mechanically inclined with the ability to troubleshoot issues.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Computer savvy including database, Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
Laboratory Technician will report directly to Laboratory Supervisor.
Freedom to Act:
Ability to multi-task and function in a highly-dynamic atmosphere; must exercise discretion independently.
- Job is performed in a laboratory setting.
- Occasionally, work may be performed after normal work hours or on weekends.
- Possible travel required, as business conditions dictate.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations or as required by Texas OilTech Laboratories.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to stand, walk, sit, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear, smell, type and write.
- The employee must have the ability to maneuver 30 pounds regularly.
- The employee will work indoors but may be required to perform duties outdoors and be exposed to year-around weather conditions, ocean environment, and noise.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
ADA Job Requirements:
Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure that the essential functions of the job can be performed and not hinder the employee’s performance due to physical, mental or emotional disability.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Texas OilTech Laboratories is an equal opportunity workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected categories. This includes providing reasonable accommodation if requested for disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.